Skip to content
Logon to WorkInTexas.com
Forgot User ID?
By Occupation and Location
By State Agency / University
By Hot Careers
Program Specialist I
Employer contact information is available to registered logged-on job seekers who match the job posting requirements (some exceptions do apply). To benefit from all services available to you
Job Posting ID
Sep 09, 2013
Employer Posting No
Nov 14, 2013
Job Site Address
AUSTIN, Texas 78701
• Provides training, instructions and assistance to county staff regarding voter registration issues and requirements and the maintenance of the registered voter rolls. Work deals directly with the Texas Election Administration Management System (TEAM) and reports to the Voter Registration Manager. The TEAM application maintains the statewide voter registration list in compliance with federal and state laws. Work requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, limited project management skills, good organizational skills, problem solving skills and the ability to exercise individual initiative. Should be able to work with moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED
• Answer calls and letters from both public and county personnel regarding correct procedures and statutory requirements on voter registration.
• Will act as both administrative and technical support for counties in the areas of troubleshooting, training, and other detail-oriented projects.
• Will work with various computer software applications, including but not limited to Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Access.
• Assist in developing policy and procedure manuals and training materials and preparing justifications for the implementation of procedural or policy changes.
• Assist with preparing and reviewing literature, statutes, rules, and/or policies.
• Will be responsible for typing and proofing correspondence drafted or assigned by section management.
• Provides technical assistance on program changes.
• Works with program staff in determining trends and resolving technical problems.
• Assist with the review of program area operations to identify areas in need of change and assists with the development of plans to improve or address areas of concern.
• Assist in training county officials
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field relevant to the assignment is preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Extensive use of Windows, knowledge of Windows XP.
• Must be able to handle multiple projects/tasks at one time.
• Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Experience with local, state and federal laws related to the program area.
• Knowledge of Access.
• Has prior work experience with county or state officials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Ability to gather, assemble, correlate, and analyzes facts; to devise solutions to problems and prepare reports.
• Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects and to meet critical deadlines.
• Skill in operating computers and applicable software.
• Strong writing and editing capability.
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups.
• Ability to successfully train others.
• Ability to learn new software programs.
• Ability to devise solutions to problems.
Supervisory Experience Required
Between $2,750.00 / MO and $3,000.00 / MO
Additional Pay Details
There is a 90-day waiting period for medical insurance and participation in the retirement system. Details about insurance and retirement benefits are available at http://www.ers.state.tx.us/Publication/NEG_Print/
Medical/Health Insurance Plan
Other Insurance Plans
Other Paid Leave
Pre-Tax Programs for Child and Health Care
Eagle Ford Shale Job
Minimum Experience and Education
4 yrs 0 mos
Basic Computer Skills
EMail Software (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)
Internet Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)
Peripheral Devices (Scanners, Printers, etc)
Presentation Software (PowerPoint, Flash, etc)
Spreadsheet Software (Calc, Excel, etc)
Word Processing Software (Word, WordPerfect, etc)
Answer the following before previewing and printing your application
State agencies will not accept incomplete applications. Complete the following fields if you are viewing and printing your application to submit to a state agency/university. Then select the Preview/Print State of Texas Application button to view your application. Use your browser print option to print.
Program Specialist I
Job Posting Number
State Agency Name
TEXAS SECRETARY OF STATE
Job Closing Date
Nov 14, 2013
Open Until Filled
Do you have any relatives working for this agency? If so, list names and relationships.
Limit 1000 characters
How did you first find out about this job?
01 - Other State Employee
02 - Job Fair
03 - Professional Publication
04 - Recruitment Poster
05 - Television
06 - Newspaper
Name of Newspaper
07 - College/University Career Day
08 - Human Resource/Personnel Office
09 - Radio
10 - Agency Web Site - Internet
11 - WorkInTexas.com
12 - Other (specify)
Workforce Solutions Office Directory